(TW: neglect) Nmom's interference with my medical info and why I'm switching to a new doctor. Nmom isn't even the worst thing in this situation, the doctor is.
The doctor I go to, I've been going to for maybe 3 or 4 years now. It's hard for me to get there because I don't have a car and uber and lyft expenses to get there kind of get pricey. Not to mention the extra running around I need to do when blood work is needed and so on.
Well, here's why I'm switching to a new doctor, besides it being an inconvenience. Instead of seeing the head doctor there, I used to see he GP. He was really cool and supportive if I ever told him personal things, even if he couldn't help. He got me on my anti depressants and was just a very easy going guy. Then suddenly, he doesn't work there anymore, for unexplained reasons. I have to see the main doctor there. Only problem is, he's treated my mom before, so he has a personal opinion of her.
I tried to confide in him about domestic abuse from her, and requested that no one be allowed to call about my medical information, period. That referrals not not sent to my home address, so on. (Things I was recommended to do from people on here, for god reason.) Basically, the first thing he said was ""Wow, you must not trust your mom"... like yeah, she's tried to choke me out and has threatened me with a knife for countless times. And then he said that he recommended a mental evaluation for me, and suggested that I might be paranoid or delusional. I told him I was in therapy by a licensed professional for the abuse and I didn't need any more assistance, just that I needed the office to understand my dire need to have my information be kept confidential. From then on, his doctor sends me referrals to psychiatrists that I have never asked for, every 6 5 to 6 months.
Referrals I needed to keep confidential were sent to my home address, where Nmom could intercept them. Not long after that visit, Nmom kept calling my doctor was was able to get my info and even make appointments for me, and ask about my medication. All things I discussed with the doctor and the people working in the office. The massive intentional failure to follow these important instructions... just, fuckimng why? Because this doctor doesn't believe mothers can abuse their children? Ever since that appointment, I've avoided going to the doctors as much as possible. Before that, I used to be a person who genuinely liked going to the doctors because it made me feels safe and taken care of. Now I'm afraid to go because I feel like people will think I'm insane and not listen to me and I won't get medical care that I need.
I went for a sprained wrist once, he didn't even touch my wrist to check it. I requested x rays to make sure it wasn't broken, and wasn't given that. Thankfully, my wrist is mostly okay and that injury happened over a year ago. It only hurts when the weather becomes cold very quickly. I felt pretty dejected over this issue.
I went this year last time because my PMS was so severe it was causing my depression to flare up beyond what I realized was possible. I've had issues with too much estrogen in the past, and wanted birth control that could help. Not only that but not getting pregnant would be cool, too. As I'm allergic to latex and I have SO and we have the sex like anyone else.
This dude straight up tells me to go the a vitamin store and get herbs to treat my hormonal imbalance. Ignores my request for birth control so I wont get pregnant. Literally shrugs as if he can't order me a referral for a OBGYN. I made myself an appointment with PLanned parenthood, they stuck a nexplanon implant in my arm, and within a month, I was almost completely back to my normal self. I seriously think birth control saved my mental well being. I felt like my body was trying to kill me. It was one of the single worst experiences in my life and I'm just glad there were people who would help me. It still doesn't fix the problem tat this doctor is an asshat, though.
SO it's been at least a year and I'm having new issues with my health. Rapid weight gain, vertigo, muscle spasms so bad I can't move or even make noise from the pain. I walked to the hospital (because no car and no family members I'm in contact with, besides Nmom, who went with me) and I wa stold I'm exhibiting telltale signs of an immune system disease, one my mom has and it's very possible that I have it. I also may have Rheumatoid arthritis. Great. I'm exhibiting all the signs my mom did back before she was diagnosed. SO I'm pretty concerned about it. They also told me I might have hypothyroidism. Ugh.
I already know all these things are going to require a lot of tests and a doctor who gives a fuck to listen and believe me, so I'm working on switching to a different doctor, one who's close to home and is actually good. Nmom jumped the gun during this, and made me an appointment this friday with the doctor, and for bloodwork to be done. I got the order for the blood a few days ago, and the asshates didn't even order half of what I need checked. Just, why???? I know she did this because she understands how serious this might be. But there's no use for me to go to this doctor. It's one thing for her to be calling for me, I need to be doing that on my own and it makes me feel infantilized. But she has no idea I requested specifically that she not be allowed to handle these things. And this doctor and the office keep violating that.
I know I have a right to privacy and that what this doctor and the office are doing cna get them into deep shit if I report it to my insurance, which I will be, because 1.fuck this asshole, and 2, fuck everyone else in that office who won't listen to me. It's such a violation of professional trust ad it's absolutely infuriating.
I'm looking through all the paperwork and info available to me so I can get a new doctor. And I will be doing my best to make sure this one is good or me. But after an experience like this, it's hard ti feel trust again for a doctor. It's not like I haven't had bad experiences with doctors before. I grew up with a blood condition that required me to go to a very well known cancer hospital, and I even had issues there. Had a doctor feel up my pubescent tits in front of my mom because they claimed it was related to my condition. It wasn't. I was denied medication that would of helped significantly because it might make me short. SHORT. My dudes, I have only grown 3 more inches since that time in my life, and it took me from age 9 to 20 to recover from that disease. I'm still fuciing short. 3 inches doesn't matter. Eventually I was given a similar medication while I was ill with strep throat as a teenager, and that started my recovery. Who would have known that medication to help me with the disease, would uh, help me!?!
I honestly miss my pediatrician. He was an eccentric man, who had health conditions of his own, who had his own opinions but never let them come in between my care. He was like an angel, and the moment he stopped being able to work as much is when I knew I'd never have such a good doctor again. His replacement ignored how sick I was once, gave me antibiotics that I wasn't receptive to any longer instead of the Z pack I had requested, and 3 days later I went to the ER for pneumonia and had to have an iv in my arm, because I was that dehydrated. I ran into that same doctor when I returned to that office to get my records, also when I had a case of bronchitis, and she saw me, asked how I was, and when I told her I had bronchitis, she said "Well, you look fine." I snapped right back, "Yeah you thought I was fine that time I had pneumonia, and that landed me in the hospital and bedridden for a month." She shut the fuck up and walked away.
I'm sorry fir ranting so much, it's just, it feels like this kind of shit runs so much deeper because I am RBN. As it is, that disease I had growing up, my Nmom didn't believe I was sick. I complained to her for a year about not feeling well. Then one my body just couldn't anymore and I passed out. My skin is naturally a warm light brown. For months after we found out I was ill, I was a pale whitish green. I could of died. I could of been treated before it got so bad, but my mom didn't believe me, the school nurse didn't believe me. And for years after, the torment continued. It was like no one wold believe I wa sick unless I had cancer and was dying. My PE teacher in middle school called it "bullshit" and would make me do extra laps and crap because he thought I was lying. I injured my knees because he made me do lunges wring for three years.
I guess, sometimes I still feel like that 9 year old girl, no one will listen to me, everyone is a nig, scary, mean adult. But I'm an adult now, and I have been for years. I can put my foot down, stand up for myself, and get myself what I need, despite never having been taught how to do so. It just hurts, though. These experiences run so deeply that they feel paralyzing.
Maybe I'll make an update post nce I get to my new doctor and stuff. I think, I just need to get this out and hear from others here. I know people here will understand, what it's like to be voiceless, and how effects you throughout your life.
Comments
Post a Comment