People who comment on other people's skin conditions [Personal]

I went to the eye doctor today.

For the past year, I've been waging a largely futile war on the hormonal acne that appeared out of nowhere following my 27th birthday, like the world's shittiest and most incompetent fairy godmother.

After switching birth control methods and starting up a new skincare regimen including vitamin C serum and retinol, my skin's looking a lot better. Most of my acne is gone, but I have quite a bit of scarring and discoloration that's still healing/fading (at least, I hope.)

Anyway, I went to the eye doctor, and I didn't put on makeup because I woke up late and anyway who cares, it's just the eye doctor!

Leaving my house without makeup has been a pretty rare occurrence over the past year, but I was finally starting to feel slightly less self-conscious.

"You have acne. Why is that?" the eye doctor, who specializes in vision and not dermatology, asked me.

I could feel the blood rush to my face, no doubt bringing all the discolored markings into even greater glory.

"I have a hormonal imbalance," I said. "And this is mostly leftover scarring."

"You're a little young to have acne," he said.

(Again, I'm 27, so like?? too "young"????? stick to eyeballs, my dude.)

He seemed satisfied, though, and just continued with the eye exam as though he hadn't just wadded up my self-confidence like an old Fritos bag and chucked it in the trash with a resounding "Kobe!"

I resisted asking him why he was balding. At age 65+, wouldn't he be a little old to be going bald?

Anyway, it really bummed me out, and I haven't ventured out bare-faced since. Why do people, especially perfect fucking strangers, think it's acceptable to ask someone about their skin conditions? Who the fuck raised these people?

This isn't the first time it's happened to me, either, or to people I know.

My best friend has eczema coupled with an anxiety disorder that causes her to pick at her skin, and as a result, has quite a bit of scarring on her arms. She's gotten so many comments and questions from people who are "just curious," that she's stopped wearing short sleeves entirely, regardless of temperature.

It seems almost worse when it's scarring. Doesn't everyone know that scars indicate some kind of previous trauma to the skin, and the likelihood that it's an unpleasant memory is conservatively about 95%? How can you be so functionally clueless as to think that's an okay thing to bring up, especially if you don't know the person well (or at all!)

I get that people who've never had skin problems might not understand the full extent of the anguish, frustration, and embarrassment that comes with them, but come the fuck on. Anyone who thinks about that kind of question for at least two seconds and goes on to ask it anyway is either A.) a small, stupid child, or B.) a rude fucking asshole. There is no in between.

So that's my rant. If you too have rude people war stories, I'd love to hear em.

I went to the eye doctor today.For the past year, I've been waging a largely futile war on the hormonal acne that appeared out of nowhere following my 27th birthday, like the world's shittiest and most incompetent fairy godmother.After switching birth control methods and starting up a new skincare regimen including vitamin C serum and retinol, my skin's looking a lot better. Most of my acne is gone, but I have quite a bit of scarring and discoloration that's still healing/fading (at least, I hope.)Anyway, I went to the eye doctor, and I didn't put on makeup because I woke up late and anyway who cares, it's just the eye doctor!Leaving my house without makeup has been a pretty rare occurrence over the past year, but I was finally starting to feel slightly less self-conscious."You have acne. Why is that?" the eye doctor, who specializes in vision and not dermatology, asked me.I could feel the blood rush to my face, no doubt bringing all the discolored markings into even greater glory."I have a hormonal imbalance," I said. "And this is mostly leftover scarring.""You're a little young to have acne," he said.(Again, I'm 27, so like?? too "young"????? stick to eyeballs, my dude.)He seemed satisfied, though, and just continued with the eye exam as though he hadn't just wadded up my self-confidence like an old Fritos bag and chucked it in the trash with a resounding "Kobe!"I resisted asking him why he was balding. At age 65+, wouldn't he be a little old to be going bald?Anyway, it really bummed me out, and I haven't ventured out bare-faced since. Why do people, especially perfect fucking strangers, think it's acceptable to ask someone about their skin conditions? Who the fuck raised these people?This isn't the first time it's happened to me, either, or to people I know.My best friend has eczema coupled with an anxiety disorder that causes her to pick at her skin, and as a result, has quite a bit of scarring on her arms. She's gotten so many comments and questions from people who are "just curious," that she's stopped wearing short sleeves entirely, regardless of temperature.It seems almost worse when it's scarring. Doesn't everyone know that scars indicate some kind of previous trauma to the skin, and the likelihood that it's an unpleasant memory is conservatively about 95%? How can you be so functionally clueless as to think that's an okay thing to bring up, especially if you don't know the person well (or at all!)I get that people who've never had skin problems might not understand the full extent of the anguish, frustration, and embarrassment that comes with them, but come the fuck on. Anyone who thinks about that kind of question for at least two seconds and goes on to ask it anyway is either A.) a small, stupid child, or B.) a rude fucking asshole. There is no in between.So that's my rant. If you too have rude people war stories, I'd love to hear em. https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/2r1QLD3

Comments