[Product Question] [Acne] [Skin Concerns] Does a sulfate free facial wash with 2-5% Benzoyl Peroxide exist??

Hi all,

​

So today I finally went to a dermatologist and let me tell you, it was weird.

​

Though she did give me a pretty good explanation for my acne around my jawline (I suspected it was hormonal and she agrees because of a recent birth control switch), she said some pretty weird stuff.

​

First she recommended using a physical exfoliant 2x a week. Which seems normal but then she started to describe why she prefers physical over chemical. She didn't say chemical exfoliants don't work, but she inferred that people like me (acne prone) are more at risk for depression and so they prefer to get instantaneous results from exfoliating rather than waiting a few days for a chemical exfoliator to work. Like, I get it, but that's kind of a weird explanation. Also, she recommended St Ives Apricot. Which...isn't that on the list of embarrassing bad skincare habits from highschool??

​

But then it gets weirder. I have oily skin, like really oily, and I live in Alabama so it basically feels like you're swimming when you go outside in the summertime. This has absolutely wreaked havoc on my face. It's like I have an oil slick on my face all day and there's nothing I can do about it. So she recommended that I. ...don't....moisturize....?? Everything I have read on this subreddit has lead me to believe that I should throw this recommendation into a blender, down the garbage disposal, and then set it on fire.

​

Don't moisturize?? What?? Don't oily skinned folk have oily skin because of an imbalance? And if you constantly strip your skin of oil, doesn't that cause oil overproduction, just like using shampoo with too much sulfate??? I thought if anything I needed MORE moisturiser so that my face doesn't need to produce more oil!! But the dermatologist I talked to said that I should get up every morning and just evaluate what my face needs...if I feel dry, moisturize. If I feel oily, leave it be. But how would that work if I cleanse? I've been taught to ALWAYS moisturize after cleansing. Guys, what is this? I know she's a doctor, but really?

​

Okay. Okay. I'm done ranting about that...

So in addition to that advice, she prescribed clindamicin and a benzoyl peroxide wash. She says anything with 2-5% BPO is sufficient. Everything I have found with that percentage has some kind of harsh ingredient in it though, like sulfates or glycolic acid. I just want a facial cleanser with the BPO, but without other harsh ingredients since the active is so harsh itself. Any suggestions out there? Come through SCA...

​

Sorry for the rant, but hope y'all can get a laugh out of it and relate!! Thanks in advance for any product recommendations.

Hi all,​So today I finally went to a dermatologist and let me tell you, it was weird.​Though she did give me a pretty good explanation for my acne around my jawline (I suspected it was hormonal and she agrees because of a recent birth control switch), she said some pretty weird stuff.​First she recommended using a physical exfoliant 2x a week. Which seems normal but then she started to describe why she prefers physical over chemical. She didn't say chemical exfoliants don't work, but she inferred that people like me (acne prone) are more at risk for depression and so they prefer to get instantaneous results from exfoliating rather than waiting a few days for a chemical exfoliator to work. Like, I get it, but that's kind of a weird explanation. Also, she recommended St Ives Apricot. Which...isn't that on the list of embarrassing bad skincare habits from highschool??​But then it gets weirder. I have oily skin, like really oily, and I live in Alabama so it basically feels like you're swimming when you go outside in the summertime. This has absolutely wreaked havoc on my face. It's like I have an oil slick on my face all day and there's nothing I can do about it. So she recommended that I. ...don't....moisturize....?? Everything I have read on this subreddit has lead me to believe that I should throw this recommendation into a blender, down the garbage disposal, and then set it on fire.​Don't moisturize?? What?? Don't oily skinned folk have oily skin because of an imbalance? And if you constantly strip your skin of oil, doesn't that cause oil overproduction, just like using shampoo with too much sulfate??? I thought if anything I needed MORE moisturiser so that my face doesn't need to produce more oil!! But the dermatologist I talked to said that I should get up every morning and just evaluate what my face needs...if I feel dry, moisturize. If I feel oily, leave it be. But how would that work if I cleanse? I've been taught to ALWAYS moisturize after cleansing. Guys, what is this? I know she's a doctor, but really?​Okay. Okay. I'm done ranting about that...So in addition to that advice, she prescribed clindamicin and a benzoyl peroxide wash. She says anything with 2-5% BPO is sufficient. Everything I have found with that percentage has some kind of harsh ingredient in it though, like sulfates or glycolic acid. I just want a facial cleanser with the BPO, but without other harsh ingredients since the active is so harsh itself. Any suggestions out there? Come through SCA...​Sorry for the rant, but hope y'all can get a laugh out of it and relate!! Thanks in advance for any product recommendations. https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/2oeO5Rp

Comments