Questioning FTM: Question about birth control

I am afab and have had very strong gender dysphoria issues since puberty (27 now). I am at the point where it seems pretty obvious to me, but I’m also having trouble admitting this to myself. Seems like those two statements should cancel each other out...

Anyway, I’ve been seeing a therapist, for that and for depression/anxiety issues. I’ve been putting the gender issues on the back burner while I try to get a little bit of emotional stability and real-life functioning going.

When I hit puberty, it hit back pretty hard, and my doctor put me on birth control pills for what he called a “hormonal imbalance”. I don’t know the full extent of what that meant, but it gave me that little bit of control, and that helped a lot. I was always scared to ask too many questions and end up having the medication taken away abruptly or having him insist on a physical examination, which I am adamantly against. I’m not saying he was a bad doctor, but he was my childhood doctor (aka an authority figure rather than someone you work with to fix yourself) and I do have anxiety issues.

I am now with a new doctor. I’ve discussed my refusal to have a physical examination with her, and I feel like if I were to have a discussion about what I’m on, she would talk to me about options and not simply take it away.

With that in mind, I’m wondering if what I’m on could be making things worse for my depression issues. I’m on Cryselle, a 2 hormone pill with a progestin and an estrogen. It’s not for pregnancy, just for skipping periods. Is this something that I should even mess with at this point? Could it help? What are other options that might allow me to skip periods and feel like I have some control over my life?

TLDR: Born female, have gender identity/depression/anxiety issues, could Cryselle be making it worse? Should I look into other options, and what is a good direction to go to hopefully still skip periods?

Thanks for any help!

I am afab and have had very strong gender dysphoria issues since puberty (27 now). I am at the point where it seems pretty obvious to me, but I’m also having trouble admitting this to myself. Seems like those two statements should cancel each other out...Anyway, I’ve been seeing a therapist, for that and for depression/anxiety issues. I’ve been putting the gender issues on the back burner while I try to get a little bit of emotional stability and real-life functioning going.When I hit puberty, it hit back pretty hard, and my doctor put me on birth control pills for what he called a “hormonal imbalance”. I don’t know the full extent of what that meant, but it gave me that little bit of control, and that helped a lot. I was always scared to ask too many questions and end up having the medication taken away abruptly or having him insist on a physical examination, which I am adamantly against. I’m not saying he was a bad doctor, but he was my childhood doctor (aka an authority figure rather than someone you work with to fix yourself) and I do have anxiety issues.I am now with a new doctor. I’ve discussed my refusal to have a physical examination with her, and I feel like if I were to have a discussion about what I’m on, she would talk to me about options and not simply take it away.With that in mind, I’m wondering if what I’m on could be making things worse for my depression issues. I’m on Cryselle, a 2 hormone pill with a progestin and an estrogen. It’s not for pregnancy, just for skipping periods. Is this something that I should even mess with at this point? Could it help? What are other options that might allow me to skip periods and feel like I have some control over my life?TLDR: Born female, have gender identity/depression/anxiety issues, could Cryselle be making it worse? Should I look into other options, and what is a good direction to go to hopefully still skip periods?Thanks for any help! https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/2NlQuVl

Comments