Hello all! Im new on this sub, and firstly I would like to apologize if the terms I use are not correct, English isn’t my first language. Also, I do believe in medicine and I hope I don’t sound too ignorant.
Second, I know the S in PCOS stands for syndrome, meaning this isn’t exactly and illness therefore I’m assuming it can’t be properly “cured”.
So, here’s my (sorry but long) story, and would love if someone could help me understand what’s going on, because my doctor has been very firm in his stance, which hasn’t helped me much.
I was diagnosed with PCOS back when I was 19. I had been struggling with really bad acne since I was 14 and after 6 different doctors (dermatologists) and two rounds of Roaccutane I was suggested to see either an endocrinologist or a ob/gyn because the cause of my acne might be hormonal. And, surprises, it was.
I ended up seeing an endocrinologist, I got a lot of tests done that showed that my testosterone levels where too high, and I was shown on the ultrasound what I was told where the cysts in my ovaries. I was also told that it would be a tough process if in the future I was to try to have children (which in fact has never been my plan so I wasn’t worried).
I went through the usual metformin treatment that I’m going to admit I hated and ended up giving up on twice. I know the failed treatment was all my fault. Then my endocrinologist prescribed me oral birth control pills, the same treatment two of my previous dermatologists had prescribed back when I was in high school. The only improvement I saw while on birth control pills was that the cramps weren’t as painful as before, BUT I still had acne on my face, chest and back, a hairy back and an irregular period. When I stopped birth control I used to have 5 periods a year, usually all in less than 4 months.
It’s been 6 years now that I’ve been on birth control on and off, with the same symptoms as ever. Last time was November last year and I got the worst acne ever, but only around my chin and neck. I had just moved in with my partner and, bless him, he was so worried when he saw the awful cyst coming all over my neck but never made any kind of negative comment.
I stopped birth control in February this year. My acne cleared up, I was happy. Then around June I realized I haven’t had a breakout in at least 3 months. Maybe a small pimple around my chin on my period but that was it. Also, for the past year I’ve had a regular period for the first time in my life, only missed one, and just 2 were a bit longer than usual (2 weeks).
So I went to see an ob/gyn last month for my annual check up, I hadn’t mention my PCOS yet, he did an ultrasound and said “these are your ovaries, all healthy for when you chose to have babies”. That’s when I told him I had been diagnosed with PCOS in the past and actually had been on treatment for it for a while. He said that no, I don’t have PCOS and I was given a wrong diagnosis,in fact he said you can’t diagnose PCOS in someone that young. I asked a ton of questions because I wanted to understand but he was firm in that I was misdiagnosed.
I am so happy that at almost 30 I can finally live a life without acne, it’s the best things that’s ever happened to me. But I’m still sure that I have some sort of hormonal imbalance, I still have mostly unpredictable, awfully painful periods and a few other PCOS symptoms (I just want to not have a hairy back for once!!!)
So, what should I do next? Can cysts actually disappear along with the symptoms? Have I “been cured”? Was it the birth control pill? Do you think I was in fact misdiagnosed? Would love to hear if anyone has had any similar experiences!!!
Hello all! Im new on this sub, and firstly I would like to apologize if the terms I use are not correct, English isn’t my first language. Also, I do believe in medicine and I hope I don’t sound too ignorant.Second, I know the S in PCOS stands for syndrome, meaning this isn’t exactly and illness therefore I’m assuming it can’t be properly “cured”.So, here’s my (sorry but long) story, and would love if someone could help me understand what’s going on, because my doctor has been very firm in his stance, which hasn’t helped me much.I was diagnosed with PCOS back when I was 19. I had been struggling with really bad acne since I was 14 and after 6 different doctors (dermatologists) and two rounds of Roaccutane I was suggested to see either an endocrinologist or a ob/gyn because the cause of my acne might be hormonal. And, surprises, it was.I ended up seeing an endocrinologist, I got a lot of tests done that showed that my testosterone levels where too high, and I was shown on the ultrasound what I was told where the cysts in my ovaries. I was also told that it would be a tough process if in the future I was to try to have children (which in fact has never been my plan so I wasn’t worried).I went through the usual metformin treatment that I’m going to admit I hated and ended up giving up on twice. I know the failed treatment was all my fault. Then my endocrinologist prescribed me oral birth control pills, the same treatment two of my previous dermatologists had prescribed back when I was in high school. The only improvement I saw while on birth control pills was that the cramps weren’t as painful as before, BUT I still had acne on my face, chest and back, a hairy back and an irregular period. When I stopped birth control I used to have 5 periods a year, usually all in less than 4 months.It’s been 6 years now that I’ve been on birth control on and off, with the same symptoms as ever. Last time was November last year and I got the worst acne ever, but only around my chin and neck. I had just moved in with my partner and, bless him, he was so worried when he saw the awful cyst coming all over my neck but never made any kind of negative comment.I stopped birth control in February this year. My acne cleared up, I was happy. Then around June I realized I haven’t had a breakout in at least 3 months. Maybe a small pimple around my chin on my period but that was it. Also, for the past year I’ve had a regular period for the first time in my life, only missed one, and just 2 were a bit longer than usual (2 weeks).So I went to see an ob/gyn last month for my annual check up, I hadn’t mention my PCOS yet, he did an ultrasound and said “these are your ovaries, all healthy for when you chose to have babies”. That’s when I told him I had been diagnosed with PCOS in the past and actually had been on treatment for it for a while. He said that no, I don’t have PCOS and I was given a wrong diagnosis,in fact he said you can’t diagnose PCOS in someone that young. I asked a ton of questions because I wanted to understand but he was firm in that I was misdiagnosed.I am so happy that at almost 30 I can finally live a life without acne, it’s the best things that’s ever happened to me. But I’m still sure that I have some sort of hormonal imbalance, I still have mostly unpredictable, awfully painful periods and a few other PCOS symptoms (I just want to not have a hairy back for once!!!)So, what should I do next? Can cysts actually disappear along with the symptoms? Have I “been cured”? Was it the birth control pill? Do you think I was in fact misdiagnosed? Would love to hear if anyone has had any similar experiences!!! https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/2EMj1DY
Comments
Post a Comment