Are these valid reasons for an elective cesarean section?

Currently 25+5 with our first, doing well with the pregnancy and no complications so far. Recently I've been researching everything I can about birth and labor, I've been considering mentioning an elective c-section to my OB because of a few personal reasons. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these issues, if you've had an elective c-section for any similar reasons or just any general advice for me.

I suffer from Vaginismus, Noninfectious Vaginitis, and HSV1. I've seen both medical professionals as well as mental health professionals, with no luck of either of the first 2 being cured, I simply manage my symptoms.

With vaginismus I would be refusing cervical checks and pelvic exams throughout my pregnancy (had a pelvic exam and pap smear at beginning of pregnancy as a precaution to ensure I am in good health but not any since then), unless absolutely necessary for the safety of my baby and I. Would this be an issue with a natural labor? Has anyone else declined or never had a cervical check during labor?

As for the Vaginitis, I have "episodes" once every 2-3 months, I get a very painful rash that does not spread and lasts about 2 weeks, doctors have assumed it is caused by hormonal changes and a pH imbalance. It is extremely painful and the only thing that helps is applying lidocaine multiple times a day, even then it's completely unbearable (luckily I haven't experienced it since I've been pregnant). My concern is that during the healing from a vaginal birth I will have an episode, and I can't even imagine the pain I would be in, especially if I've had tearing. I also am concerned that I would have an outbreak from the HSV1, I know I will receive medication to prevent spreading it to my baby but I also worry about my recovery postpartum.

On top of all this I also have Seasonal Effective Disorder, that usually hits me the end of October until mid-December. Which is lovely considering I'm due October 6th...I haven't been on medication for it in years and don't plan on starting any again (I do not react well to anti-depressants). I've been handling it well over the years, however my worry is the stress of recovery and new added responsibilities of motherhood could cause me a lot of mental strain.

Any advice is welcome, I really want to do what's best for myself as well as my baby. But I also want to protect my mental health, and feel that an elective c-section might be easier for me to recover from, considering my conditions.

Sorry for the long post, thank you for reading.

Currently 25+5 with our first, doing well with the pregnancy and no complications so far. Recently I've been researching everything I can about birth and labor, I've been considering mentioning an elective c-section to my OB because of a few personal reasons. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these issues, if you've had an elective c-section for any similar reasons or just any general advice for me.I suffer from Vaginismus, Noninfectious Vaginitis, and HSV1. I've seen both medical professionals as well as mental health professionals, with no luck of either of the first 2 being cured, I simply manage my symptoms.With vaginismus I would be refusing cervical checks and pelvic exams throughout my pregnancy (had a pelvic exam and pap smear at beginning of pregnancy as a precaution to ensure I am in good health but not any since then), unless absolutely necessary for the safety of my baby and I. Would this be an issue with a natural labor? Has anyone else declined or never had a cervical check during labor?As for the Vaginitis, I have "episodes" once every 2-3 months, I get a very painful rash that does not spread and lasts about 2 weeks, doctors have assumed it is caused by hormonal changes and a pH imbalance. It is extremely painful and the only thing that helps is applying lidocaine multiple times a day, even then it's completely unbearable (luckily I haven't experienced it since I've been pregnant). My concern is that during the healing from a vaginal birth I will have an episode, and I can't even imagine the pain I would be in, especially if I've had tearing. I also am concerned that I would have an outbreak from the HSV1, I know I will receive medication to prevent spreading it to my baby but I also worry about my recovery postpartum.On top of all this I also have Seasonal Effective Disorder, that usually hits me the end of October until mid-December. Which is lovely considering I'm due October 6th...I haven't been on medication for it in years and don't plan on starting any again (I do not react well to anti-depressants). I've been handling it well over the years, however my worry is the stress of recovery and new added responsibilities of motherhood could cause me a lot of mental strain.Any advice is welcome, I really want to do what's best for myself as well as my baby. But I also want to protect my mental health, and feel that an elective c-section might be easier for me to recover from, considering my conditions.Sorry for the long post, thank you for reading. https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/2JfsfY4

Comments