I'd like to share my personal experience with being on the depo - provera injection in case anyone is contemplating getting it. I apologize for the lengthy post but I want to be thorough and I'm happy to help and answer questions.
To start: I was 21 when I first got on any type of BC and I've only ever used the depo shot and condoms as methods to avoid pregnancy. I have had periods of time where I have been off of the shot. From 21-22 I was on the depo as a method of precaution, as I was not putting it to use but figured I needed some protection should a night out "lead to more". After over a year of not having sex, I decided to stop the injections. I did not get the shots for about 6 months until I met someone who I was starting to engage in a sexual relationship with so I got back on the shot. Something important to note: The entire 6 months while I was "off" of the depo shot, I did not get my period back. I know this is a common concern for anyone wanting to get immediately pregnant after the depo, so take it into consideration. After that relationship ended roughly 7 months later, I got one more shot but decided to stop the depo again after a little over a year of being on it. This is where my only negative side affects of the shot kicked in: My skin broke out TERRIBLY. Acne all over my chin and cheeks which I was informed was likely due to the hormonal imbalance. My entire life I was very lucky to never suffer from cystic acne of any kind so this was a big shock and threw me into a slight depression because of it. After about a year of my periods regulating again, it finally cleared up but left a good amount of scaring which I'm still taking care of. My period was obviously irregular, but not unmanageable. A moderate level of bleeding and spotting which came about 6 months after missing my last shot.
When you consider depo, your provider will explain the risk of the bone density loss after 2 years of use. This is reversible once you stop the infections but also it's a good idea to take a supplement, which I've done my entire time on depo and have felt like I was still strong and healthy. I understand that it's still not the ideal choice for long-time use.
In my opinion the PROS definitely outweigh the CONS for getting the depo shot. I loved only having a very quick doctor's visit once every 3 months. (I would have no peace of mind if I had to remember a pill every day). My Doctor would schedule my appointments the same day for 3 months out! While there were occasional PMS symptoms, they were mild and little to no bleeding was nice.
I did not have the weight gain that I've heard many girls talk about, however I try to eat relatively healthy and my job keeps me very active so I know everyone has different situations.
My sex drive didn't decrease after getting the shot, and the peace is mind for both of us was enough to actually increase the frequency we would engage in bedroom fun.
I have recently started a new relationship and got back on depo, once again, (after being off of it for about a year and a half), and I still recommend it as a reliable form of BC as long as you get your shots on time.
I'd like to share my personal experience with being on the depo - provera injection in case anyone is contemplating getting it. I apologize for the lengthy post but I want to be thorough and I'm happy to help and answer questions.To start: I was 21 when I first got on any type of BC and I've only ever used the depo shot and condoms as methods to avoid pregnancy. I have had periods of time where I have been off of the shot. From 21-22 I was on the depo as a method of precaution, as I was not putting it to use but figured I needed some protection should a night out "lead to more". After over a year of not having sex, I decided to stop the injections. I did not get the shots for about 6 months until I met someone who I was starting to engage in a sexual relationship with so I got back on the shot. Something important to note: The entire 6 months while I was "off" of the depo shot, I did not get my period back. I know this is a common concern for anyone wanting to get immediately pregnant after the depo, so take it into consideration. After that relationship ended roughly 7 months later, I got one more shot but decided to stop the depo again after a little over a year of being on it. This is where my only negative side affects of the shot kicked in: My skin broke out TERRIBLY. Acne all over my chin and cheeks which I was informed was likely due to the hormonal imbalance. My entire life I was very lucky to never suffer from cystic acne of any kind so this was a big shock and threw me into a slight depression because of it. After about a year of my periods regulating again, it finally cleared up but left a good amount of scaring which I'm still taking care of. My period was obviously irregular, but not unmanageable. A moderate level of bleeding and spotting which came about 6 months after missing my last shot.When you consider depo, your provider will explain the risk of the bone density loss after 2 years of use. This is reversible once you stop the infections but also it's a good idea to take a supplement, which I've done my entire time on depo and have felt like I was still strong and healthy. I understand that it's still not the ideal choice for long-time use.In my opinion the PROS definitely outweigh the CONS for getting the depo shot. I loved only having a very quick doctor's visit once every 3 months. (I would have no peace of mind if I had to remember a pill every day). My Doctor would schedule my appointments the same day for 3 months out! While there were occasional PMS symptoms, they were mild and little to no bleeding was nice.I did not have the weight gain that I've heard many girls talk about, however I try to eat relatively healthy and my job keeps me very active so I know everyone has different situations.My sex drive didn't decrease after getting the shot, and the peace is mind for both of us was enough to actually increase the frequency we would engage in bedroom fun.I have recently started a new relationship and got back on depo, once again, (after being off of it for about a year and a half), and I still recommend it as a reliable form of BC as long as you get your shots on time. https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/2YdR1y4
Comments
Post a Comment