Gender dysphoria as a hormone craving?

I was gender dysphoric for about 5 years back in the 1990s. Then the gender dysphoria mysteriously mostly went away for 20 years, before it came raging back in the middle of 2018.

The middle of 2018 also seems to be when my hypothyroid symptoms began. A year later, a week after I got diagnosed and started taking thyroid hormone, my gender dysphoria went away again, making me think that the whole thing had been a hormone craving, but for the wrong hormone. But then in another week the gender dysphoria came back.

The core thyroid symptoms (brain fog, poor memory) seem to be cured now, but I still have the gender dysphoria. More urgently, I still have the anhedonia and avolition that also accompanied the hypothyroidism, and I really need to figure out how to enjoy things and want to do things again.

In a blood test, my testosterone level is on the low side (384 ng/dL, about 15th percentile for male adults), so maybe the remaining symptoms still are a hormone imbalance, and testosterone replacement is one of the things I could try to reenergize myself. But I am AMAB, so the gender dysphoria is simultaneously telling me that testosterone is the last thing I want to be adding to my body, so it doesn't make sense that the other symptoms are a testosterone craving. Maybe my brain really is telling me it wants estrogen?

Has anyone been here before? What did you do? Did it work?

I was gender dysphoric for about 5 years back in the 1990s. Then the gender dysphoria mysteriously mostly went away for 20 years, before it came raging back in the middle of 2018.The middle of 2018 also seems to be when my hypothyroid symptoms began. A year later, a week after I got diagnosed and started taking thyroid hormone, my gender dysphoria went away again, making me think that the whole thing had been a hormone craving, but for the wrong hormone. But then in another week the gender dysphoria came back.The core thyroid symptoms (brain fog, poor memory) seem to be cured now, but I still have the gender dysphoria. More urgently, I still have the anhedonia and avolition that also accompanied the hypothyroidism, and I really need to figure out how to enjoy things and want to do things again.In a blood test, my testosterone level is on the low side (384 ng/dL, about 15th percentile for male adults), so maybe the remaining symptoms still are a hormone imbalance, and testosterone replacement is one of the things I could try to reenergize myself. But I am AMAB, so the gender dysphoria is simultaneously telling me that testosterone is the last thing I want to be adding to my body, so it doesn't make sense that the other symptoms are a testosterone craving. Maybe my brain really is telling me it wants estrogen?Has anyone been here before? What did you do? Did it work? https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/33YO9sP

Comments