Welcome to the community / ICR description

Hello and welcome to the community!! Here is a little bit about me, the creator of the community, and a little bit about Idiopathic Condylar Resorption.

I am a college student who was diagnosed with ICR at 17 years of age.

I sang professionally and I was very active in community choirs all my life.

I was diagnosed with Endometriosis at age 15, and yes this does relate to this condition.

I had had braces and orthodontic work for 12 years.

Idiopathic Condylar Resorption is a rare condition, that in 2015, only 178 people in the world had.

It is when the condyles (round bone connecting lower and upper jaw) are worn down vertically and this cannot nessacarly be caught on a 2D Xray.

Predisposition are: 1. Girls typically (9:1 flame to male ratio) 2. Cheerleaders or singers who inflict minor or major trauma to the jaw. 3. Hormonal imbalances (endometriosis) 4. Oral surgery mistake 5. Having orthodontic work done while in puberty or having an orthodontic mistake 6. Having an autoimmune condition like Lupus or MS 7. Having TMJ

I check all of the predisposition boxes.

You then have to be diagnosed through the scans, and like I said, it is a rare condition to have and so it may take awhile to be diagnosed.

Let me say, age can cause this too. Someone who is 90 will have the wear and tear on the jaw, I am talking about being in your early 20s and having the jaw of a 90 year old.

This condition goes into remission and can relapse and surgery cannot fix it because it could cause the condition to relapse or if the condition and TMJ is bad enough, you can undo the surgery.

I have not met another person with ICR and so I created this community to hopefully connect those of us with the condition.

Best, Katie

Hello and welcome to the community!! Here is a little bit about me, the creator of the community, and a little bit about Idiopathic Condylar Resorption.I am a college student who was diagnosed with ICR at 17 years of age.I sang professionally and I was very active in community choirs all my life.I was diagnosed with Endometriosis at age 15, and yes this does relate to this condition.I had had braces and orthodontic work for 12 years.Idiopathic Condylar Resorption is a rare condition, that in 2015, only 178 people in the world had.It is when the condyles (round bone connecting lower and upper jaw) are worn down vertically and this cannot nessacarly be caught on a 2D Xray.Predisposition are: 1. Girls typically (9:1 flame to male ratio) 2. Cheerleaders or singers who inflict minor or major trauma to the jaw. 3. Hormonal imbalances (endometriosis) 4. Oral surgery mistake 5. Having orthodontic work done while in puberty or having an orthodontic mistake 6. Having an autoimmune condition like Lupus or MS 7. Having TMJI check all of the predisposition boxes.You then have to be diagnosed through the scans, and like I said, it is a rare condition to have and so it may take awhile to be diagnosed.Let me say, age can cause this too. Someone who is 90 will have the wear and tear on the jaw, I am talking about being in your early 20s and having the jaw of a 90 year old.This condition goes into remission and can relapse and surgery cannot fix it because it could cause the condition to relapse or if the condition and TMJ is bad enough, you can undo the surgery.I have not met another person with ICR and so I created this community to hopefully connect those of us with the condition.Best, Katie https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/3ibtmZK

Comments