"Women are more emotional than men"

What do yall think about this statement?

It's a question that I've been thinking about after watching a trans woman describe her transition. She mentions after beginning her HRT, she's more prone to crying as compared to before her transition.

I previously thought of it more as a nurture thing as compared to a nature thing because men in general are shamed for crying compared to women but I'm a little confused now.

And also, I do get annoyed when I see people dismiss things as "women being emotional" or making jokes about it.

I would like to hear other feminists opinions on this.

Edit: Thank you for all the responses! Especially for those who shared their own experiences with transitioning or hormonal imbalance! I tried to respond as much as possible but this post blew up more than I expected and alot of comments are reinforcing what other comments said so I'm sorry if I didn't reply but I definitely scrolled through what was hopefully everything!

A short summary of what I mainly took away so far:

Men and women are equally emotional, they just express their emotions differently (anger vs crying) and male-coded emotional response is more accepted in society hence the idea of women being "more emotional". Also, more crying does not equal to more sadness when it comes to hormones (more estrogen made more tears flow even though the sadness was the same - according to a few experiences that were shared).

What do yall think about this statement?It's a question that I've been thinking about after watching a trans woman describe her transition. She mentions after beginning her HRT, she's more prone to crying as compared to before her transition.I previously thought of it more as a nurture thing as compared to a nature thing because men in general are shamed for crying compared to women but I'm a little confused now.And also, I do get annoyed when I see people dismiss things as "women being emotional" or making jokes about it.I would like to hear other feminists opinions on this.Edit: Thank you for all the responses! Especially for those who shared their own experiences with transitioning or hormonal imbalance! I tried to respond as much as possible but this post blew up more than I expected and alot of comments are reinforcing what other comments said so I'm sorry if I didn't reply but I definitely scrolled through what was hopefully everything!A short summary of what I mainly took away so far:Men and women are equally emotional, they just express their emotions differently (anger vs crying) and male-coded emotional response is more accepted in society hence the idea of women being "more emotional". Also, more crying does not equal to more sadness when it comes to hormones (more estrogen made more tears flow even though the sadness was the same - according to a few experiences that were shared). https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/2SckQxJ

Comments