Ultrasound left me confused

Hello, I am turning to this subreddit as a worried 23 year old.

Today I had an ultrasound scan to look for cysts on my ovaries but none were found.

The short version of my story is:

  • I went on birth control at 16 because I had irregular periods, I came off 5 years later in December 2019 - since then I have had no period. (Roughly 18 months without menstruating)

  • My mum has PCOS, I have some unwanted facial hair, acne along my jaw/chin and since I had irregular periods at 16 I thought this was a likely diagnosis. I am also slightly overweight.

  • Blood tests ruled out thyroid issues, hormone imbalances. My blood tests did not show PCOS but my symptoms did so my doctor referred me for an ultrasound. Today the ultrasound ‘ruled out’ (according to the doctor doing it) PCOS - I had no cysts.

I have a doctors appointment booked for Tuesday but in the last 18 months I don’t feel like I have got very far with my doctor.

My question is: Can I still be diagnosed with PCOS without blood tests/ultrasound confirming hormonal imbalance/cysts on the ovaries?

I live in the UK and so any experience relating to the NHS I would also be interested to hear if you were diagnosed in a similar way?

Hello, I am turning to this subreddit as a worried 23 year old.Today I had an ultrasound scan to look for cysts on my ovaries but none were found.The short version of my story is:I went on birth control at 16 because I had irregular periods, I came off 5 years later in December 2019 - since then I have had no period. (Roughly 18 months without menstruating)My mum has PCOS, I have some unwanted facial hair, acne along my jaw/chin and since I had irregular periods at 16 I thought this was a likely diagnosis. I am also slightly overweight.Blood tests ruled out thyroid issues, hormone imbalances. My blood tests did not show PCOS but my symptoms did so my doctor referred me for an ultrasound. Today the ultrasound ‘ruled out’ (according to the doctor doing it) PCOS - I had no cysts.I have a doctors appointment booked for Tuesday but in the last 18 months I don’t feel like I have got very far with my doctor.My question is: Can I still be diagnosed with PCOS without blood tests/ultrasound confirming hormonal imbalance/cysts on the ovaries?I live in the UK and so any experience relating to the NHS I would also be interested to hear if you were diagnosed in a similar way? https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/3fdZ7S6

Comments