My family kept it a secret that I was born intersex. Seeking answer about: Vaginal Atresia, Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia, Addison's Disease, AIS, and/or females born or living with high testosterone

When I was around 21, my mom told me that I was born with a closed vagina. The way I found out was by her asking me (after a few drinks), "Are you gay because it hurts to have sex with men?" Obviously a dumb questions, but regardless, I understand her train of thought and I'm happy that she told me and to know this about myself.

But it felt weird that she kept it a secret from me for so long, so I looked into it and found that it's called Vaginal Atresia and falls along the intersex spectrum. What I am curious about, but not sure if it's related, is I have had a pain in my upper abdomen for as long as I can remember, and always assumed it was from anxiety. But since looking more into being intersex, I've been learning a lot about adrenal gland disorders and that me being born with a closed vagina could have been a result of hormonal imbalances, specifically high testosterone.

I already know from past experiences with birth control and from being diagnosed with PMDD, that my hormones are out of whack. I reached out to my doctor when my extreme mood swings, irritability, severe pre-menstrual acne, and fatigue prior to my period were starting to interfere with my life.

My mom has recently been more open to answering questions, but I am seeking answers from you lovely people, that could potentially explain some things about me and my health. I would also love to hear similar experiences!

PERSONAL & FAMILY HISTORY

- AFAB (assigned female at birth)

- As far as I know, my chromosomes are XX

- Behavioral problems as a child, aggression

- Body hair at a young age

- I have multiple sclerosis (autoimmune)

- Chronic fatigue

- Depression, anxiety, and PMDD

- Very, very light, short, but regular menstrual cycle

- I identify as non-binary/transmasc (and have always questioned my gender)

- Mom has PMDD and is having a hard time with menopause

- Dad is type 1 Diabetic

My mom also told me that to treat my closed vagina when I was an infant, I was prescribed topical progesterone and it began to open on it's own.

MEDICATION

I am on a handful of medications and some of them don't seem to be working and are rather addictive. When I met with my doctor to talk about my PMDD, I was given Klonopin, rather than looking into hormone imbalances and when I brought up fatigue, they prescribed me Adderall. Not to mention, I am on 300mg of Wellbutrin and 20mg of Lexapro.

I am get an infusion treatment called Rituximab for my MS. Neurologists had an extremely hard and lengthy time to get to this diagnosis, and even then, they say I am on the "MS spectrum."

*** I am digging into this to see if my issues could be better managed and treated by hormone treatment or steroids rather than some of these addictive drugs I am taking, specially Adderall and Klonopin. **\*

CONCLUSION

I'm curious if my stomach pain could stem from my adrenal glands being damaged? Or maybe from producing too much testosterone?

Could it possible I have Congenital Adrenal hyperplasia or Addison's Disease? Or Maybe Androgen Insufficient Syndrome?

*** I scheduled an appointment next month to get blood work done to check my hormone levels as well as have a chromosome analysis and genetic test. ***

Ultimately, I am looking for solutions to live a higher quality of life, especially since I already have MS.

Thanks for reading and any comments to come :)

\Let me know if you want links to information I've found**

When I was around 21, my mom told me that I was born with a closed vagina. The way I found out was by her asking me (after a few drinks), "Are you gay because it hurts to have sex with men?" Obviously a dumb questions, but regardless, I understand her train of thought and I'm happy that she told me and to know this about myself.But it felt weird that she kept it a secret from me for so long, so I looked into it and found that it's called Vaginal Atresia and falls along the intersex spectrum. What I am curious about, but not sure if it's related, is I have had a pain in my upper abdomen for as long as I can remember, and always assumed it was from anxiety. But since looking more into being intersex, I've been learning a lot about adrenal gland disorders and that me being born with a closed vagina could have been a result of hormonal imbalances, specifically high testosterone.I already know from past experiences with birth control and from being diagnosed with PMDD, that my hormones are out of whack. I reached out to my doctor when my extreme mood swings, irritability, severe pre-menstrual acne, and fatigue prior to my period were starting to interfere with my life.My mom has recently been more open to answering questions, but I am seeking answers from you lovely people, that could potentially explain some things about me and my health. I would also love to hear similar experiences!PERSONAL & FAMILY HISTORY- AFAB (assigned female at birth)- As far as I know, my chromosomes are XX- Behavioral problems as a child, aggression- Body hair at a young age- I have multiple sclerosis (autoimmune)- Chronic fatigue- Depression, anxiety, and PMDD- Very, very light, short, but regular menstrual cycle- I identify as non-binary/transmasc (and have always questioned my gender)- Mom has PMDD and is having a hard time with menopause- Dad is type 1 DiabeticMy mom also told me that to treat my closed vagina when I was an infant, I was prescribed topical progesterone and it began to open on it's own.MEDICATIONI am on a handful of medications and some of them don't seem to be working and are rather addictive. When I met with my doctor to talk about my PMDD, I was given Klonopin, rather than looking into hormone imbalances and when I brought up fatigue, they prescribed me Adderall. Not to mention, I am on 300mg of Wellbutrin and 20mg of Lexapro.I am get an infusion treatment called Rituximab for my MS. Neurologists had an extremely hard and lengthy time to get to this diagnosis, and even then, they say I am on the "MS spectrum."*** I am digging into this to see if my issues could be better managed and treated by hormone treatment or steroids rather than some of these addictive drugs I am taking, specially Adderall and Klonopin. **\*CONCLUSIONI'm curious if my stomach pain could stem from my adrenal glands being damaged? Or maybe from producing too much testosterone?Could it possible I have Congenital Adrenal hyperplasia or Addison's Disease? Or Maybe Androgen Insufficient Syndrome?*** I scheduled an appointment next month to get blood work done to check my hormone levels as well as have a chromosome analysis and genetic test. ***Ultimately, I am looking for solutions to live a higher quality of life, especially since I already have MS.Thanks for reading and any comments to come :)\Let me know if you want links to information I've found** https://ift.tt/eA8V8J https://ift.tt/3EJ3UVe

Comments