27/F Cystic acne flare-up monthly during OVULATION - affecting my mental health

Hello! I'm 27 and have been dealing with acne on and off since I was 15-odd. I've tried antibiotics, spironolactone, accutane, lifestyle changes, different contraceptive pills, a million different topical treatments.

Accutane worked the best of all of these, however, despite being on it for 6 months at 60mg/day, my hormonal acne returned 6 months after stopping.

I've tracked my cycle for the last 4 months and it's become very clear that my acne flares up (BADLY - I'm talking 10+ new angry spots all over my jawline, chin and cheeks) a few days before, during and after ovulation. My skin fully clears up in the lead up to my period and during my period (which is odd, as I thought most women experience the opposite?) but the marks linger, so it really affects my confidence.

I am currently on no medication or hormonal contraceptives (they really affect my mood) but am using topical clindamycin and tretinoin, which isn't keeping the ovulation flare-ups under control.

I'm wondering if the fact my skin flares up during ovulation is a sign of a hormonal imbalance and, if so, what the best treatment option would be? However, I'm struggling to find any reliable information online relating to acne during ovulation.

My GP refuses to test my hormones as my periods are regular, I don't have facial/body hair concerns and I'm a healthy weight... so he says this is probably just genetic and I should go back on accutane. I just have a feeling the acne would return again after accutane as it seems so closely tied to my cycle, so I'd rather treat the underlying imbalance... if there is one.

I want to get my skin sorted as I feel it's contributing to low self-esteem and social anxiety... I'm really struggling with it.

  • 27F
  • 5ft 5, 9st 3lb
  • Active lifestyle
  • Healthy-ish diet (no dairy)
  • Drink alcohol occasionally
  • Non-smoker
  • Also experiencing hair thinning on temples and regular night sweats
  • From the UK

Any advice/information would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much!

Hello! I'm 27 and have been dealing with acne on and off since I was 15-odd. I've tried antibiotics, spironolactone, accutane, lifestyle changes, different contraceptive pills, a million different topical treatments.Accutane worked the best of all of these, however, despite being on it for 6 months at 60mg/day, my hormonal acne returned 6 months after stopping.I've tracked my cycle for the last 4 months and it's become very clear that my acne flares up (BADLY - I'm talking 10+ new angry spots all over my jawline, chin and cheeks) a few days before, during and after ovulation. My skin fully clears up in the lead up to my period and during my period (which is odd, as I thought most women experience the opposite?) but the marks linger, so it really affects my confidence.I am currently on no medication or hormonal contraceptives (they really affect my mood) but am using topical clindamycin and tretinoin, which isn't keeping the ovulation flare-ups under control.I'm wondering if the fact my skin flares up during ovulation is a sign of a hormonal imbalance and, if so, what the best treatment option would be? However, I'm struggling to find any reliable information online relating to acne during ovulation.My GP refuses to test my hormones as my periods are regular, I don't have facial/body hair concerns and I'm a healthy weight... so he says this is probably just genetic and I should go back on accutane. I just have a feeling the acne would return again after accutane as it seems so closely tied to my cycle, so I'd rather treat the underlying imbalance... if there is one.I want to get my skin sorted as I feel it's contributing to low self-esteem and social anxiety... I'm really struggling with it.27F5ft 5, 9st 3lbActive lifestyleHealthy-ish diet (no dairy)Drink alcohol occasionallyNon-smokerAlso experiencing hair thinning on temples and regular night sweatsFrom the UKAny advice/information would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much! https://ift.tt/Mhf8FyP6J https://ift.tt/cWkK5Jn4i

Comments