My entire life, I have never been able to sweat when I drink water during those scalding Midwestern summer months. Nobody believes me. Is there a medical condition that causes this?

  • Context and info:
  • I am a 33 year old Caucasian male with a very small amount of Native American in me (Grandfather on mother's side was 100% born on a reservation and left to marry his German wife)
  • I have been prone to heat stroke since I was a child. I get it all the time.
  • Yes, I understand there is a difference between heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. I have had both, multiple times throughout my life. Hospitalized once for heat stroke when I began vomiting at work in a distribution center, had white flashes, stood up and passed out. Coworkers found me on the floor near some stairs.

That's probably enough to get started. So, essentially this is what happens. I live in Illinois; Which if you don't know, can become quite humid near the northern 3rd, especially toward Chicago. We can get temps of 90+ degrees with a heat index making it feel like 110. On top of this, I work in a factory where the factory itself can be 115 or more.

Naturally, our boss (and all of the companies I've worked at) supply water to all employees. Drinking water can help lower your core temp, and through the biomechanics of sweating, you can release excess heat from your body. So, normally, the more water you drink, the more you should cool off. Right?

Yeah, that's never happened for me. The other day at work I drank 14 bottles of water, and didn't sweat a drop. I also didn't urinate much at all, either.

My skin becomes salty and sticky and my skin keeps getting hotter and hotter. Even wearing a tank top and thin, polyester shorts to help breathe and allow as much skin exposure to the air as possible. I simply do not sweat.

The next day, I ended up having diarrhea seven times, and an 8th time the day after that one, as well as vomiting in my bedroom and in my shower.

But here's the strange thing... as if this wasn't strange enough. When I drink beverages such as tea, vitamin water, Gatorade, Powerade or similar drinks, I sweat like I just stepped out of the shower. My shirt becomes saturated, my legs sweat down into my socks, my hair becomes wet and matted, I have to constantly wipe my brow... but water, just pure clear clean water, does nothing.

In fact, the day I drank 14 bottles of water and couldn't urinate or anything? By the time I left it was about 113 and humid within the factory. Not sure what my body temp was because I don't own a thermometer, but when I came home and walked into the back door, it was as if walking into air that was made of shattered glass. It was physically painful to enter my own home. My skin felt like it was being shredded off of my body and my bones shattering with every step. I laid in bed, wrapped in my bath robe and multiple blankets covering head to toe, shivering in absolute agony from around 10:30pm until maybe 4 or 5am when I finally passed out. When the shivering finally stopped, I was scalding hot and like a furnace beneath my blankets. If I even sat up and exposed my skin to the air (70 degrees), it was like having dry ice in my veins and red hot irons dragging across my body. It was absolute torture.

And I suspect it is all because I literally can not sweat and release body heat, when I drink water. No matter how much water I drink.

So, the question is, is there some type of medical condition that causes this? Some kind of dietary issue? Hormonal imbalance? Anything, at all?

Thanks.

Context and info:I am a 33 year old Caucasian male with a very small amount of Native American in me (Grandfather on mother's side was 100% born on a reservation and left to marry his German wife)I have been prone to heat stroke since I was a child. I get it all the time.Yes, I understand there is a difference between heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. I have had both, multiple times throughout my life. Hospitalized once for heat stroke when I began vomiting at work in a distribution center, had white flashes, stood up and passed out. Coworkers found me on the floor near some stairs.That's probably enough to get started. So, essentially this is what happens. I live in Illinois; Which if you don't know, can become quite humid near the northern 3rd, especially toward Chicago. We can get temps of 90+ degrees with a heat index making it feel like 110. On top of this, I work in a factory where the factory itself can be 115 or more.Naturally, our boss (and all of the companies I've worked at) supply water to all employees. Drinking water can help lower your core temp, and through the biomechanics of sweating, you can release excess heat from your body. So, normally, the more water you drink, the more you should cool off. Right?Yeah, that's never happened for me. The other day at work I drank 14 bottles of water, and didn't sweat a drop. I also didn't urinate much at all, either.My skin becomes salty and sticky and my skin keeps getting hotter and hotter. Even wearing a tank top and thin, polyester shorts to help breathe and allow as much skin exposure to the air as possible. I simply do not sweat.The next day, I ended up having diarrhea seven times, and an 8th time the day after that one, as well as vomiting in my bedroom and in my shower.But here's the strange thing... as if this wasn't strange enough. When I drink beverages such as tea, vitamin water, Gatorade, Powerade or similar drinks, I sweat like I just stepped out of the shower. My shirt becomes saturated, my legs sweat down into my socks, my hair becomes wet and matted, I have to constantly wipe my brow... but water, just pure clear clean water, does nothing.In fact, the day I drank 14 bottles of water and couldn't urinate or anything? By the time I left it was about 113 and humid within the factory. Not sure what my body temp was because I don't own a thermometer, but when I came home and walked into the back door, it was as if walking into air that was made of shattered glass. It was physically painful to enter my own home. My skin felt like it was being shredded off of my body and my bones shattering with every step. I laid in bed, wrapped in my bath robe and multiple blankets covering head to toe, shivering in absolute agony from around 10:30pm until maybe 4 or 5am when I finally passed out. When the shivering finally stopped, I was scalding hot and like a furnace beneath my blankets. If I even sat up and exposed my skin to the air (70 degrees), it was like having dry ice in my veins and red hot irons dragging across my body. It was absolute torture.And I suspect it is all because I literally can not sweat and release body heat, when I drink water. No matter how much water I drink.So, the question is, is there some type of medical condition that causes this? Some kind of dietary issue? Hormonal imbalance? Anything, at all?Thanks. https://ift.tt/trP9sxy https://ift.tt/vdfEbm2

Comments