My husband’s exercise progress is triggering me and I had to distance myself from him the past couple days

We’ve been together for 10 years (the same duration as my ED ), so he should have more empathy , but I get that the anorexic mind is impossible to understand ; maybe he just didn’t realize he was doing anything wrong . I’ll preface this by saying he has type 2 bipolar disorder so the fact he’s had the energy and motivation to work out is great and a sign that he’s improving and better managing the illness. But still, him asking me “look at my arm today; it got bigger, right?!” , constantly talking about parts of his body he’s muscle training for , and constantly doing picture body checks to monitor his progress is sending me into a mental spiral. He exercises everyday and we share a very small space at the moment, so I can’t always just go somewhere else while he’s working out . He’s always been supportive during my ED and in recovery but why this ?!

I’ve been in recovery for a year- weight restored like 6 months ago and obviously I am disgusted by the way I look because well... I didn’t get the Kim K body I was stupidly expecting and the weight gain actually just revealed further hormonal imbalances pointed out by my dermatologist. Of course I feel inclined to work out to “tone” the gained weight but I know that I can’t because that fat is there for a reason. My husband insists we should work out together and though he says I look way better now, still my ED brain interprets him saying that as “you need to lose weight”.

Now I’m staying with my family the next couple of days because I’m too sick of his shit. I know he feels great and has every right to be proud of himself for getting fit , so who’s wrong in this: me or him ?

We’ve been together for 10 years (the same duration as my ED ), so he should have more empathy , but I get that the anorexic mind is impossible to understand ; maybe he just didn’t realize he was doing anything wrong . I’ll preface this by saying he has type 2 bipolar disorder so the fact he’s had the energy and motivation to work out is great and a sign that he’s improving and better managing the illness. But still, him asking me “look at my arm today; it got bigger, right?!” , constantly talking about parts of his body he’s muscle training for , and constantly doing picture body checks to monitor his progress is sending me into a mental spiral. He exercises everyday and we share a very small space at the moment, so I can’t always just go somewhere else while he’s working out . He’s always been supportive during my ED and in recovery but why this ?!I’ve been in recovery for a year- weight restored like 6 months ago and obviously I am disgusted by the way I look because well... I didn’t get the Kim K body I was stupidly expecting and the weight gain actually just revealed further hormonal imbalances pointed out by my dermatologist. Of course I feel inclined to work out to “tone” the gained weight but I know that I can’t because that fat is there for a reason. My husband insists we should work out together and though he says I look way better now, still my ED brain interprets him saying that as “you need to lose weight”.Now I’m staying with my family the next couple of days because I’m too sick of his shit. I know he feels great and has every right to be proud of himself for getting fit , so who’s wrong in this: me or him ? https://ifttt.com/images/no_image_card.png https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckeatingdisorders/comments/vhn51m/my_husbands_exercise_progress_is_triggering_me/?utm_source=ifttt

Comments