Hair loss/thinning due to prolonged stress or other factors? Experiences and advice needed & appreciated. 27F/SEA (South East Asian)

Hi everyone, I’m hoping to get some insight into my situation. I’m experiencing hair loss/thinning and it’s starting to really scare me.

I’m a 27yo SEA female with virgin hair. I was blessed with very straight, thick, and dense hair. It was just luck of the draw with genetics and I’ve always been very grateful.

In 2018, I was 23yo and experienced a drawn out breakup that was devastating to me as it was my first real relationship and it was 5+ years at that point. I would say I was pretty severely depressed and had bad anxiety. I was diagnosed as having a major depressive episode by my doctor.

Fast forward to Jan 2020-July 2022, I went through nursing school while in a global pandemic. During this timeframe, I experienced the worst stress and anxiety of my life and I was still depressed.

In 2021, I started antidepressants with a main focus on anxiety as it was debilitating. My doctor diagnosed me with general anxiety disorder.

I understand that the last few years put my body under a lot of stress, and that it has taken a physiological toll. I also understand that hair thinning happens naturally as we age. But I didn’t realize how much hair I’ve lost until recently.

I’ve noticed: * I lose a lot more strands of hair daily than I used to, either by combing or just running my fingers through my hair (I’ve only really been paying attention lately vs throughout the last few years, but it seems like a lot more than what should be normal- ex. in the time span of typing this out I’ve gently pulled out maybe 12-13 hairs without much effort) * Comparing my pics from when I was 15, to 20, to 25, and now 27 shows a gradual but very apparent change in the density and volume of my hair * Less density/volume in 2018/2019 (as compared to 2015-2017), with a huge increase in thinning by 2020/2021 to now (Sept 2022) * My hair gets greasier a lot faster than it used to, especially at my bangs since the hair is so thin now. I used to wash my hair every 3-4 days and it would show signs of greasiness on day 5+. Now my hair gets greasy on day 2 and even worse on day 3 (this could be due to my antidepressant medication- I would sweat a lot more than normal)

Some positives: * My hair has no issues growing length * My individual hairs still seem still thick and strong * Overall my hair still seems to have some shine and softness

My main issue is thinning and hair loss. My hair is a huge part of my identity and a great source of my confidence, so seeing the stark difference is really affecting me, and causing me more stress when I should be trying to maintain the opposite.

I plan to get blood work done to check my iron and thyroid. I’ve done research on the diet required for hair maintenance and any related deficiencies in vitamins/minerals (I have never had a consistent diet- I have already made effort to change that).

Aside from sorting out deficiencies/hormonal imbalances what else can I do? I plan to see a dermatologist, take a multivitamin and/or hair, skin, and nails supplement (Nature’s Bounty- if my diet falters), have consistent exercise, manage/reduce stress (continue medication, see therapist, meditate, etc).

Lastly does anyone have any anecdotal evidence or scientific evidence that the above works to stop hair loss/thinning and increase hair density/volume? I know my hair is dead and the issue lies internally and with my follicles.

This post turned out a lot longer than I intended. If you’ve read this far, thank you. If you leave any experiences, advice, or support, I really appreciate it.

Hi everyone, I’m hoping to get some insight into my situation. I’m experiencing hair loss/thinning and it’s starting to really scare me.I’m a 27yo SEA female with virgin hair. I was blessed with very straight, thick, and dense hair. It was just luck of the draw with genetics and I’ve always been very grateful.In 2018, I was 23yo and experienced a drawn out breakup that was devastating to me as it was my first real relationship and it was 5+ years at that point. I would say I was pretty severely depressed and had bad anxiety. I was diagnosed as having a major depressive episode by my doctor.Fast forward to Jan 2020-July 2022, I went through nursing school while in a global pandemic. During this timeframe, I experienced the worst stress and anxiety of my life and I was still depressed.In 2021, I started antidepressants with a main focus on anxiety as it was debilitating. My doctor diagnosed me with general anxiety disorder.I understand that the last few years put my body under a lot of stress, and that it has taken a physiological toll. I also understand that hair thinning happens naturally as we age. But I didn’t realize how much hair I’ve lost until recently.I’ve noticed: * I lose a lot more strands of hair daily than I used to, either by combing or just running my fingers through my hair (I’ve only really been paying attention lately vs throughout the last few years, but it seems like a lot more than what should be normal- ex. in the time span of typing this out I’ve gently pulled out maybe 12-13 hairs without much effort) * Comparing my pics from when I was 15, to 20, to 25, and now 27 shows a gradual but very apparent change in the density and volume of my hair * Less density/volume in 2018/2019 (as compared to 2015-2017), with a huge increase in thinning by 2020/2021 to now (Sept 2022) * My hair gets greasier a lot faster than it used to, especially at my bangs since the hair is so thin now. I used to wash my hair every 3-4 days and it would show signs of greasiness on day 5+. Now my hair gets greasy on day 2 and even worse on day 3 (this could be due to my antidepressant medication- I would sweat a lot more than normal)Some positives: * My hair has no issues growing length * My individual hairs still seem still thick and strong * Overall my hair still seems to have some shine and softnessMy main issue is thinning and hair loss. My hair is a huge part of my identity and a great source of my confidence, so seeing the stark difference is really affecting me, and causing me more stress when I should be trying to maintain the opposite.I plan to get blood work done to check my iron and thyroid. I’ve done research on the diet required for hair maintenance and any related deficiencies in vitamins/minerals (I have never had a consistent diet- I have already made effort to change that).Aside from sorting out deficiencies/hormonal imbalances what else can I do? I plan to see a dermatologist, take a multivitamin and/or hair, skin, and nails supplement (Nature’s Bounty- if my diet falters), have consistent exercise, manage/reduce stress (continue medication, see therapist, meditate, etc).Lastly does anyone have any anecdotal evidence or scientific evidence that the above works to stop hair loss/thinning and increase hair density/volume? I know my hair is dead and the issue lies internally and with my follicles.This post turned out a lot longer than I intended. If you’ve read this far, thank you. If you leave any experiences, advice, or support, I really appreciate it. https://ift.tt/IKzli7a https://ift.tt/KJ9LEPr

Comments